Our desire to make the space we sleep in more appealing and comfortable takes precedence over many other things. Most people spend a considerable amount of time and money trying to find the perfect mattress for their needs.
It’s a sad fact that many of us spare very little time when it comes to considering mattress industry statistics. We’ve gathered some of the most interesting facts that can help you learn more about this vital industry. These stats cover both the US and the global market. Let’s take a look at the world of mattresses so you can find the perfect mattress for yourself to sleep on.
The Top 10 Mattress Industry Statistics
- The mattress industry is believed to be as old as the 37th century BCE.
- Mattresses will often weigh more after 8–10 years.
- You cannot buy mattresses on a Sunday in Washington.
- The US mattress segment currently amounts to $12.9 million.
- The most commonly purchased type of mattress is also the least liked.
- Mattresses can contain thousands of microscopic dust mites.
- Mattresses used to rest on ropes.
- It’s federal law for all mattresses to be flame-proof.
- The global mattress industry market is expected to grow by $13 billion over 5 years.
- 45% of the mattresses purchased in 2018 were bought online.
A Few Fun Mattress Industry Facts
1. The mattress industry is believed to be as old as the 37th century BCE.
(Waterbeds and Futons)
The first type of mattress created is believed to be a waterbed, invented in 3600 BCE by the Persians. They used to make goatskin beds filled with water so Persian royalty, or possibly the elderly, could sleep in comfort.
2. Mattresses can weigh more after 8–10 years.
This is one of the grossest mattress facts. Over time, mattresses can accumulate more weight when you use them. As you sleep on the mattress, there’s a buildup of dead skin cells, microscopic dust mites, and even sweat. Over the course of 10 years, mattresses can potentially double their weight compared to when you once bought them.
3. You cannot buy mattresses on a Sunday in Washington.
Although weekends are the best time to go out and buy anything, it’s illegal in the state of Washington to purchase or sell mattresses on Sundays. While the law’s origins are unknown, it’s not necessarily a law that’s strictly enforced.
4. The most commonly purchased type of mattress is also the least popular.
Mattress sales statistics reveal that around a third of overall mattress sales are for innerspring mattresses. Only 65% of innerspring mattress owners, however, were fully satisfied with their purchase. Other types of mattresses, like memory foam and adjustable air mattresses, have satisfaction rates reaching up to 80%.
5. Mattresses used to rest on ropes.
Before boxsprings and platform foundations became popular, it was common to use cross-woven ropes stretched across wooden frames to support mattresses. This is also where the phrase “sleep tight” comes from.
6. It is federal law for all mattresses to be flame-proof.
(Flame Retardants Online)
This is one of the more important mattress facts, and further information confirms that in 2007, federal law changed to protect consumers. It now requires that all mattresses be able to withstand an open flame for at least 30 seconds.
7. There’s a world record category for mattress dominoes.
(Guinness World Records)
There’s such a thing as mattress dominoes—it’s a real record that Guiness maintains for the longest mattress dominoes chain, which is then knocked over in a consecutive chain like dominoes. The current record is 2,019 mattresses with the same number of people standing against these mattresses, completed by volunteers in Rio de Janeiro in 2019.
Mattress Industry Stats in the US
8. The US dominates global mattress sales.
An interesting mattress sales statistic from the US is that it generated the most income in mattress sales compared to the rest of the world, earning $14.2 billion in just 2018.
9. The average annual expenditures on mattresses per consumer is almost $100.
Between 2007 and 2018, the average yearly expenses consumers in the US spent on mattresses were $97.34 per consumer unit.
10. Approximately 32% of adults in the US sleep on a spring mattress.
(Statista, Consumer Reports)
According to mattress statistics from 2017, around a third of US adults sleep on spring mattresses in their homes as opposed to other types of mattresses. Foam beds and then adjustable air mattresses followed in popularity.
11. The US mattress segment amounts to $12.9 million in 2020.
If you’re wondering how much the mattress industry is worth, revenue in the US from mattress sales alone during 2020 has been north of $12.895 million. The market segment is expected to grow annually by 4.6%.
12. Sealy is the biggest mattress manufacturer in the US.
Sealy sees an average of $1.38 billion in sales each year and has a 19% market share of mattress sales in the US. That makes Sealy the top mattress manufacturer in the country.
Mattress Industry Statistics in the World
13. The global mattress industry market is expected to grow by $13 billion over 5 years.
The global mattress market had a value of $30 billion in 2019. It could grow at a CAGR as high as 6.5%, reaching $43 billion by 2024.
14. The Asia-Pacific region is demonstrating the fastest growth in the mattress industry.
Mattress statistics indicate that the Asia-Pacific market is the most quickly growing segment in the mattress industry. It has a projected CAGR of 8.1% up through 2022 at least, which can result in almost $40 billion in revenue.
15. The global mattress market will grow by $14.5 billion between now and 2027.
Amid the global COVID-19 pandemic crisis and the looming economic recession, global mattress sales are expected to grow at a revised CAGR of 5.1%. Traditional innerspring mattresses will grow by over 4.1% and remain the most substantially sold type of mattress, as the latest mattress shopping statistics show.
16. According to data from 2018, North America represented the largest market for the mattress industry from 2013 to 2017.
(PS Market Research)
With the increased disposable income in North America, the region became the largest mattress market in terms of revenue from 2013 to 2017. In 2018, demand was further expected to increase due to the construction of new hotels.
Online Mattress Sales Statistics
17. There are more than 170 online mattress companies in the world.
Experts estimate that there are around 175 bed-in-a-box companies selling mattresses online, and sometimes you can’t tell them apart. Many of the mattresses sold are similar to each other despite being different in how they’re labeled and marketed.
18. Casper had the largest market share of any online mattress store in 2019.
There’s been an increasing number of sales in online mattresses nowadays, but a major chunk of the market is held steadily by select brands in the US as of 2019. According to the mattress sale statistics in the USA, Casper has the most significant share of online mattress sales at 37%.
19. In 2017, mattress retailers saw an increase in online sales of more than 60.6% from 2016.
(Digital Commerce 360)
2017 was a huge year for online mattress companies as mattress retailers grew their sales by 60.6% in that year. The top 14 retail mattress companies sold more than $1.76 billion worth of mattresses online—a substantial increase from 2016 when they generated revenue of $1.1 billion. A growing trend of online sales is also noticed in the furniture industry.
20. In 2018, 45% of mattresses purchased were bought through online sales.
The International Sleep Products Association conducted a survey in 2018 to compile the latest mattress sales statistics and found that 45% of the mattresses purchased in the year were through online sales. The sales were up from 2017 when 35% of all mattress sales were through online retailers.
21. Online sales of mattresses have overtaken in-store purchases in the UK.
An increasing percentage of the UK’s market is now buying mattresses online instead of going to stores, according to a consumer research report conducted by the National Bed Federation. This research evaluated the buying habits of 500 people who purchased mattresses between September 2017 and February 2018. It showed that 51% of sales took place via online stores.
Memory Foam Mattress Facts
22. Side sleepers benefit most from memory foam.
While the majority of the population consists of people who prefer to sleep on their sides, there aren’t many beds designed specifically for them. Memory foam mattresses align the hips and shoulders in an ideal position that helps side sleepers get the best rest.
23. Memory foam was first designed by NASA.
This might be one of the most surprising mattress facts. The synthetic material that resulted in the development of memory foam mattresses was initially intended to provide cushioning for astronauts by NASA to protect them from the impact of the force of landing. The material eventually made its way into use for the healthcare industry before it became part of regular consumer mattresses.
24. There are typically multiple layers of foam in a mattress.
A memory foam mattress is not made using a single large piece of foam. There are several layers used to make the foam mattress. These are specifically added to create an ideal balance between comfort and support. The core layer is there for back support, while the outer layers are responsible for improving a sleeper’s comfort.
How much is the mattress industry worth?
It’s difficult to estimate the exact number of mattresses sold worldwide each year due to the massive difference in prices for each type and varying costs in various markets. However, global sales at least show how much revenue the market produces. In 2020, the total market for mattresses is expected to generate revenues of $77.26 billion.
What percentage of mattresses are sold online?
The sale of mattresses online continues to increase each year. According to statistics compiled by a report by the International Sleep Products Association, around 45% of all mattresses purchased in 2018 were through online sales.
Who is the largest mattress manufacturer?
Serta is the largest mattress manufacturer in the US according to its sales of more than $250 million worldwide. The Itasca, Illinois-based company was founded in 1931 and manufactures several types of mattresses for use in homes.
Knowing these mattress industry statistics and interesting facts can help you make a better purchase decision when the time comes to look for one. The US continues to be the largest manufacturer and consumer of mattresses in the world. However, there’s a growing market in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Baltimore Post
- Consumer Reports
- Digital Commerce 360
- Flame Retardants Online
- Guinness World Records
- Indiana University
- John Ryan
- PS Market Research
- Report Linker
- Waterbeds and Futons
- Weird Facts