Painting is among the messiest tasks. So, it’s not surprising that you may accidentally get a splash of paint on your work outfit or your fancy clothes. You are likely to panic in such a case, wondering how to get paint out of clothes.
There are various tried methods of cleaning paint from clothes, and some failed while others worked fine. Of course, it is better to remove the paint when it is still wet. However, you can still clean it after it dries up.
Read on easy guidelines on how to get varnish out of clothes.
How to Get Water-Based Paint Out of Clothes
Water-based paint is easier to clean when it is wet than dry. So, immediately the paint drops on a piece of clothing, follow these simple steps to clean it out.
- Scrape off the excess paint with a flat tool like a blunt knife. Wash the stain under warm water.
- Wash the stained spot with a laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid, scrubbing gently with a soft brush.
- Launder normally.
- If the stain remains, repeat the process.
- Please do not put the material in a drier before obliterating the paint as the heat will set the stain, making it permanent.
If the paint is dry, the process will be a bit different. Check these steps to remove dried water paint.
Scrape the excess paint with a blunt object like a spoon or a brush. Be careful not to rip the material.
Run the backside of the stain under warm water. Next, you can blot it with a clean towel or a paper towel. The aim is to absorb as much paint as possible.
Soak the stain in warm water, detergent, and scrub hard with a piece of cloth or a paper towel. Then, rinse it and repeat the process until all the paint comes off.
N.B. Test a small hidden spot of the garment first to ensure that the rug you are using does not discolor the garment.
You can apply bleach and follow the care label’s wash instructions if necessary. However, only use the stain remover that the manufacturer recommends on the care label.
Try other home remedies if you still notice some paint patches after washing. For example, you can blot gently with hairspray, non-acetone nail polish remover, or rubbing alcohol, then wash again.
Consider a professional dry cleaner if you apply all these home remedies and the stain remains adamant.
How to Get Oil Paint Out of Clothes
Dried oil paint stains are hard to remove. Take note that you should never use water when dealing with an oil-based paint stain. Adhere to this procedure. It’s simple if you have what you need—paint primer.
- First, sweep off the wet paint from the garment.
- Soak a cloth with a paint primer, then dab the paint stain gently.
Note; spot test a hidden part of the cloth to be sure that the paint thinner does not affect the garment
- Rinse out the spot.
- If the paint is still visible, continue blotting with the paint primer moving towards the clean areas.
- After getting all the paint out, you can apply a laundry detergent or dishwashing soap to the spot. Finally, soak the garment in hot water for a night. However, it is essential to read the care label for water temperature.
- The following day, launder the material normally.
- If the stain remains stubborn, apply a stain remover according to the care label, and wash again. Nevertheless, do not dry it until the paint stain is no more.
- Sometimes oil-based paint stains become permanent. Suppose this is the case; try the permanent stain removal procedure.
Removing paint stains does not always have to be a nightmare. However, prevention is better than cure. So it is essential to be careful when painting the kitchen wall or handling wall paint or any other paint to avoid messing.
How to Get Acrylic Paint Out of Clothes
Acrylic paint is water-based paint that is made of pigment and polymer emulsion. It is a versatile medium that can be used for delicate and bold strokes. Acrylic paint is also one of the most commonly used paints in arts and crafts. If you accidentally get acrylic paint on your clothes, don’t panic! The following are steps to take to get the acrylic paint out of your clothes:
- First, try to remove as much of the paint as possible by blotting the area with a paper towel.
- If the paint is wet, you can rinse it out with cold water. If the paint is dry, you can brush off any loose particles.
- Then, soak the clothes in warm water and laundry detergent for 30 minutes.
- After soaking, use a washing machine or hand wash cycle to launder the clothes. Be sure to check the care label on your clothing first!
- Air dry your clothes once they are clean.
How to Get Latex Paint Out of Clothes
Latex paint is water-based paint that is used for indoor and outdoor projects. It is easy to use and dries quickly, but it can be challenging to remove from clothes. So if you get latex paint on your clothes, don’t panic! There are several ways to remove it without damaging the fabric.
The best way to get latex paint out of clothes is to pour a small amount of ammonia onto the stain and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then, wash the garment as usual in cold water. Ammonia is a powerful cleaner that will break down the latex paint and allow it to be washed away.
If you don’t have ammonia available, you can try dish soap. Pour a small amount of dish soap onto the stain and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then, wash the garment in warm water. Dish soap is a good degreaser that will help to remove the paint from the fabric.
If you cannot remove the latex paint from your clothes using these methods, you may need to take them to a professional dry cleaner. They will have exceptional products and techniques to get the paint out without damaging the fabric.
How to Get Fabric Paint Out of Clothes
Fabric paint is a type of paint that is specifically designed to adhere to the fabric.
It’s essential to treat the stains as quickly as possible properly, but there are different ways you can go about it depending on what kind of fabric your clothing is made out of. The following are ways of removing fabric paint stains from clothes:
- For natural fabrics such as cotton or linen, you can use a gentle detergent and cold water to hand wash the clothing. Once it’s been washed, hang it to dry in the sun. The UV light will help set the paint, so it doesn’t bleed anymore.
- If your clothing is made from synthetic materials such as polyester or acrylic, then you should use a laundry pretreatment spray and launder according to the care instructions on the garment tag.
How to Get Spray Paint Out of Clothes
Spray paint is one of the most challenging types of paint to get out. If it is dried, you might need chemicals or a professional to remove it for you. However, if your spray paint has not completely dried yet, some steps can be taken at home to clean up without ruining your clothes!
First off, make sure that any excess spray paint on the outside of clothing is removed—this should help prevent staining and ruining other items in your load when trying to wash away the remaining color. Next, throw them into the washing machine with water only (no detergent) and let them run through their cycle. This will act as a rinse cycle since no soap was used beforehand. Finally, check every item carefully after being washed/dried to make sure the paint is gone. If any areas still look stained, repeat the process until satisfied.
Removing paint from your clothes can be a daunting task, but with the proper techniques, it can be done. If the paint is dry, you may need to use a harsher method like sanding or scraping. If the stain is wet, try blotting with a cloth or using a non-solvent-based cleaner. Always test any cleaning solution on an inconspicuous part of the fabric to ensure it doesn’t cause any damage.
Does vinegar remove paint from clothing?
Vinegar can remove paint from clothing, but it may not be effective for all types of paint. You can try using vinegar and water as a cleaning solution or soak the clothes in vinegar before washing them.
Can you get permanent paint out of clothes?
It is possible to get permanent paint out of clothes, but it may not be easy. You can use a solvent like acetone to dissolve the color or use a commercial stain remover.
Does baking soda remove paint from clothes?
Baking soda can be used as a cleaning agent to remove dried paint from clothing. You can mix baking soda with water to create a cleaning solution or sprinkle it over the stain before washing the clothes.
How to get dried paint out of clothes?
You can get dried paint out of your clothes by using a hairdryer. The heat will help loosen the paint and make it easier to remove. You can find more useful tips on how to get paint out of clothes in our article above.