If you’re looking for a modern and minimalist style for your home, you should consider Bauhaus style decor. This unique style was created in the early 20th century by the Bauhaus school in Germany, and it has been growing in popularity ever since. In this blog post, we will discuss what Bauhaus interior design is, and we will give you tips on how to create it in your own home!
What Is Bauhaus Style?
Bauhaus style is a form of architecture and art that originated from the Bauhaus school in Germany. It is characterized by an emphasis on function over form, as well as minimalism.
Short Hustory of Bauhaus Design
Bauhaus is a German word that translates to “house of work.” The term was coined by Walter Gropius in 1919 when he founded the Bauhaus school. The school’s goal was to unite art and technology, while also emphasizing functionality over form. Bauhaus style interior design was created as a result of this philosophy.
The Bauhaus school was shut down during World War II due to pressure from Nazi officials who saw its founders as communists and anti-German artists. However, many architects continued to use its principles throughout their careers, including Marcel Breuer who designed furniture for Knoll International (one of his pieces is still sold today).
The Principles of Bauhaus Design
When creating a Bauhaus-inspired space, it is important to keep the following principles in mind: simplicity, functionality, and minimalism. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Form follows function: The purpose of each element in a room should be considered when designing it. This means that furniture and decor should be functional and serve a specific purpose, rather than being added for aesthetic reasons alone.
- Less is more: When designing in the Bauhaus style, less really is more. The goal here is to be as minimalistic as possible and avoid clutter at all costs! Therefore, keep your design simple without unnecessary ornaments typical of Moroccan style. This doesn’t mean you have to compromise on style; it just means that you should stick to a few key elements and avoid clutter.
- Use of primary colors: Primary colors such as blue, red and yellow are used heavily in Bauhaus style. These bold hues contrast with neutral tones like white or gray to create a striking look that’s both modern and eye-catching.
- Geometric forms: The Bauhaus style is characterized by simple geometric forms such as squares, rectangles and circles which can be found in everything from furniture pieces to lighting fixtures!
- Focus on industrial materials: Bauhaus design often uses industrial materials such as metal, concrete, glass, and wood to create a modern, minimalist look.
If you keep these principles in mind, you can easily create a bauhaus-inspired interior that’s both stylish and functional!
Although it was created over 80 years ago, Bauhaus design is still popular today. This is because the principles of this style are timeless—they focus on simplicity and functionality. If you’re looking for a modern look that will stand the test of time, consider using some of these principles in your own home decor.
What is Bauhaus interior design?
Bauhaus design is a modernist movement in art, architecture and design that started in Germany in the early 20th century. It was founded by Walter Gropius and aimed to combine craftsmanship with technology.
What are the key features of a Bauhaus design?
- Minimalist and functional
- Geometric shapes like squares, rectangles and circles
- Use of primary colors (red, yellow or blue) in addition to black and white.
- Natural materials such as wood, leather, cotton etc.
What colors are used in Bauhaus?
Bauhaus style is often characterized by its use of primary colors, such as red, yellow, and blue. These bold hues are intended to create a visually stimulating space that is both energizing and uplifting. However, you don’t have to stick to just these three colors if you want to achieve a Bauhaus-inspired interior.
The primary colors are supplemented with white and black to create a neutral, yet dynamic color palette for your Bauhaus-inspired design scheme. White tones should be used on walls and ceilings as they help reflect light throughout the space, creating an airy feel that contrasts well against darker furniture pieces or accents. Black is often used in accents like art pieces, hardware fixtures (e.g., cabinet pulls and knobs), or window treatments because it adds contrast without taking away too much attention from the primary colors in your room.
Is Bauhaus still used?
Bauhaus interior design is still popular among homeowners and design professionals. Although it originated in the early 20th century, its principles are timeless and can be applied to any style of home. Whether you’re looking to create a traditional Bauhaus look or something more modern, these tips will help you get started.